NAMI Basics on Demand
We're excited to offer the NAMI Basics Program online for the first time for parents and caregivers of children and young adults experiencing a mental health condition. We know parents face barriers to attending an in-person class, especially when a child may be experiencing mental health challenges, but that's when the information is needed the most. We hope by providing this free, online course of NAMI Basics On Demand we'll reach more people when and where it's easiest for them to access this vital information. We want parents to get the resources they need and to realize they are not alone. The program has been divided into six sessions, including:
- Basic elements of coping with mental health conditions.
- Brain biology and getting diagnosis.
- Communication skills and crisis preparation.
- Treatment and connecting with others by sharing your story.
- Navigating the mental health and education systems.
- Self-care and advocacy.
---> Register for this online course here!
NAMI Basics is a free, 6-session, education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens 17 and younger who have emotional and behavioral difficulties, and who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or who have already been diagnosed. NAMI Basics is offered in a group setting so you can connect with other people face to face. NAMI Basics helps parents or other family caregivers to understand the illnesses that are causing the behavioral difficulties, and the critical role families play in the treatment of those illnesses. You'll learn the facts about mental health conditions and how best to support your child at home, at school, and when they're getting medical care. The course is taught by a trained team with lived experience. They know what you're going through because they've been there! The 6-session program provides critical strategies for taking care of your child and learning the ropes of recovery.
What you will gain: At NAMI Basics, you'll find out that you are not alone. Recovery is a journey and there is hope! The group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact-you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You can also help others with your own experience.
NAMI Basics Covers:
- Managing crises, solving problems, and communicating effectively.
- How to care for yourself and handle stress.
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion. Advocating for your child's rights at school and in health care settings.
- Learning about current treatments, evidence-based therapies, medications and their side effects.
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems and supporting resources to help you navigate these systems.
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your family.
---> Register for this course here!
Click here to watch more information:
I JUST NEED TO PUT SOMETHING HERE.
ALL RIGHT HERE.
FOR THE SPACING.
Click here to watch more information:
Family-to-Family is a free 12-session program for family, significant others, and friends of adults living with mental illness. Research shows that the program significantly improves the coping and problem-solving abilities of the people closest to a person living with a mental health condition. Family-to-Family is taught by trained family members and includes presentations, discussion, and interactive exercises.
What you will gain: Family-to-Family not only provides critical information and strategies for taking care of the person you love, but you'll also find out that you're not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope. The group setting provides mutual support and shared positive impact. You can experience compassion and reinforcement from the people who understand your situation. You can also help others through your own experience.
In the program you'll learn:
- How to manage crises, solve problems, and communicate effectively.
- Taking care of yourself and managing your stress.
- Developing the confidence and stamina to provide support with compassion.
- Finding and using local supports and services.
- Up-to-date information on mental health conditions and how they affect the brain.
- Current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and their side effects.
- The impact of mental illness on the entire family.
What people are saying: "Before I took the course, I felt alone and overwhelmed dealing with my daughter's mental illness. I have met others who are going through the same things I am and have learned about many resources that I never knew existed."
"I thought my wife and I knew about everything there is to know about the system and the illness. Boy, were we wrong. Without a doubt, this is the best support course I have had the privilege of taking part in, bar none."
---> Sign up for this class here!
I just need something here.
NAMI Homefront is for families, partners, and friends of Military Service Members and Veterans experiencing a mental health challenge. The course is designed specifically to help these families understand those challenges and improve the ability of participants to support their Service Member/Veteran.
What you'll gain: Recovery is a journey and there is hope for all people affected by mental health conditions. This in-person experience provides the opportunity for mutual support and shared positive impact. You will experience compassion and reinforcement from people who relate to your experiences. Through your participation, you have the opportunity to help others grow.
NAMI Homefront teaches you how to:
- Learn to care for yourself, including managing your stress.
- Support your family member with compassion.
- Identify and access federal, state, and local services.
- Stay informed on the latest research and information on mental health, including post-traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injury, anxiety, depression, and substance use.
- Understand current treatments and evidence-based therapies.
- Navigate the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on the entire family.
- Manage a crisis, solve problems, and communicate effectively.
---> Join this free online course here!